What is the procedure ?
The eyes are the important point of the face which can show the human’s emotion out from inside. But the eyes appearance can be changed such as from the wrinkling on the eyes, the droopy eyes which cause of the aging or gravity which also can change the whole face appearance which cam make the people look older than the real age with tired and sleepy face appearance all the time, even sometimes they are fine and try to show the real emotion at the moment. For the people with the “Droopy eyelids”, the skin on your upper eyes become loose which may cause of aging, sun exposure without the protection of sunglasses , muscles weaken and fat that cushions the eyeball moves forward around the eyes. These can leads to the face looks tired, sleepy and not fresh and be visible all of the time. And if you have the same problems, Upper eyelid surgery or “Upper blepharoplasty” is the best answer for you. Moreover, upper eyelid surgery also can perform the double eyelid which is very popular in the oriental woman with very small eyes.
How the procedure is performed ?
For upper eyelid surgery can be dividing performed for 2 kinds of the patient, for the people who only want to remove the droopy skin on upper eyelid and for the people who want to make the eyes bigger.
Upper eyelid surgery
The surgeon will apply the local Anastasia on the patient to make them not to pain during the surgery and will make an incision on your upper eyelid along the normal eyelid crease across the entire lid in order to keep the scars as invisible as possible along with a thin strip of muscle to give the eyelid crease more definition. The excess fat, muscle and bulging fatty tissue will be removed and close the incision with in with a single layer of sutures usually hiding the scars within the natural fold of the upper eyelids.
Double eyelid surgery (Asian eyelid surgery)
This technique is to make create fold to make the eyes look larger and rounder in the Asian people with very small eyes. The surgeon will apply the local Anastasia and make the incision at the same position of upper eyelid surgery(can be a little bit lower)in order to tighten up the Levator Muscle(the muscle which can make the eye open and close ) and pull up the upper eyelid skin to make a fold for making double eyelid surgery. And the fat inside the upper eyelid which makes your eyes looks plump will be also removed. This will make your eyes can open larger because the fat under upper eyelid are removed and the skin is made a layer
What type of Anastasia is necessary for the procedure ?
How will the incision look like ?
The incision of upper eyelid surgery will be placed the midpoint of the eyelid margin, the length of scars is around 6-8 mm, depend on the surgeon’s recommendation and the concern things of each patients. But the incision will be hidden along the natural crease of the upper eyelid. In the beginning after the surgery, it’s visible especially when you close your eyes and after that, it will be better day by day. But for the woman, making up also can helps.
Is this procedure suitable for the candidate ?
- Candidate for lower eyelid surgery can be both of man and woman but must be in good health, no serious medication problems such as high blood pressure, diabetes, circulatory disorders, cardiovascular disease, or thyroid disease
- Must over than 18 years old of the age or can be earlier the age if you have the member family have these problems.
- The people who have the excessive drooping and sagging of skin around eyes
- The people with the wrinkles aging surrounding the upper eyelid and want to remove it caused by the fat under the effect of or gravity
- The people who want to improve the eye appearance and can leads to the whole face appearance.
- The peoples who have tired face or look older than the real age
- The eyes looks firmer,fresher and smoother
- The peoples who is difficulty wearing glasses or contact lenses
- The people who have the excess skin and fat, and lack of a fold in the upper eyelid
- have a puffy appearance to the upper eyelids, making your eyes look tired and sad
- The peoples who can’t open the eyes completely wide.
What are the results the candidate can expect ?
For upper eyelid surgery
- The result of the surgery is immediately visible and permanent
- The excess skin on the eyelid is removed
- The upper face looks more fresh, no more tired appearance
- Look more youthful and natural beautiful
- The face look more symmetry
- Get back the self-confident and more enjoy the life
For double eyelid surgery
- The result of the surgery is immediately visible and permament
- The eye look bigger and you also can open them more wider
- Make the whole face look more balance especially compare to the both eyes
- Th face look more natural beautiful
- Increasing the self-esteem
Length of stay at the hospital and in Thailand
Out-patient, recommends 7 days in Thailand
- Before you can have a surgery, you need to have consultation with the surgeon, inform the surgeon about the medication problems and condition to see that you can undergo the surgery or not
- Discuss with the surgeon about the specific result of the surgery to get the recommendation from the surgeon, what’s type of eyelid surgery do need for you(upper or lower or both)
- You will be asked to stop taking Aspirin, ibuprofen, and products containing aspirin and ibuprofen including anti-inflammatory medication , high dosing any multivitamins/herbal remedies/teas etc before and surgery for 2 weeks, this may inhibit blood clotting and cause bleeding problems during and after surgery
- Stop smoking and drinking alcohol before and after the surgery 2 weeks, that’s effect to delay wound healing
- Prepare the things for recovery time such as cool pack, ointment or any moisturizers
- The people with suffering from hypertension must control blood pressure to the normal level before getting the surgery
On the surgery date
- Take a bath and wash your hair wash your hair (because after a surgery, you maybe not comfortable to do it for a few days) but without applying the lotion and cream on the body including no makeup
- Take out all accessories, such as earring and also remove the nail polish before getting the operation room
- Wear the loose cloths or comfortable, If possible take the shirt with the button in front
- Sleep well before the surgery
- Make a physical checking up to be sure that you have the normal level of your blood pressure or any disease come up which can’t undergo the surgery or not
- After the surgery, you will have the bandage over on your incision (under the eye) and you try to keep it at that place at least one day after the surgery.
- You may feel pains, comfortable, bruising and swelling. But it will go away in 1 month.
- The painkiller pill and antibiotics medication is recommended if the pain is extremely and for preventing to get infection during the healing process and continue taking them until they are all gone
- The surgeon will recommend you to take a rest as much as possible after the surgery on your back with your head higher than the body and knees bent with a pillow underneath
- Don’t take a shower or take a shower but keep the wound dry until you will the suture will be removed or just try to clean your body with the wet towel if you don’t feel comfort
- Keep the wound dry and clean with the warm water and apply the ointment on after and try to change the gauze ever the incision twice times a day attend to it at least twice a day to avoid getting injection from bacteria inside
- But during this time, you may have bleeding and oozing come out from the wound. It’s common symptom after the surgery and will go way in a few day, no worry
- The surgeon will recommend applying the cool pack or frozen peas, this can reduce the swelling and stop bleeding (especially, the first few days is recommended to keep cool pack on your surgery area all the time) and including vitamin A and C is also can help
- After 48 hours, when you stop applying the cool pack on the cheek. Just let it heal by itself. Do not uses both of cool pack and hot pack anymore. The swelling will fade away in 4-5 days
- After the surgery, its normal for some blurring occur when you reading or computer. But it’s not serious problems just apply the teardrop when you feel your eyes are very dry or tired or can stop using the eyes time to time
- 7 days after the surgery , you have to come back to see the surgeon again for the follow up checking and remove the suture
- Avoid facing the sunshine without the sun glass or sun protection lotion in the first 1 month.Don’t be in the swimming pools and bath tubs because these can be breeding grounds for bacteria and infection in the early days after surgery.
- Avoid extreme activities or strenuous sport at least 3 weeks because of the rising high blood. This can cause of bleeding inside
- If you wear eyeglasses, you can continue using as normal . But just be careful when you wear to no disturb your incision and you start wearing the contact lenses and make up again after the suture is removed
- After the suture is removed, the incision maybe very dry, you can put the vitamin E , mesmerizers , oily on your incision to reduce itching ,including lacri-lube and Aquaphor also can help
What are the possible risks and complications involved?
The eyes can’t completely closed
This can be common in the beginning after the surgery which when the skin settle up, the skin can become flexible again. But in the case that the surgeon cut too much skin from eyelid, this can be another problem which you have to go back to see the surgeon again. They will recommend you how to fix this propels or probably the eye revision is necessary in some cases
The dryness eyes
It’s normal for the eyes after the surgery to be dry, the surgeon will recommend you to use the eye drop during this time or tapping the eye when you are sleeping to provide lubrication. But if it doesn’t go away, you should go back to meet the surgeon again for checking up to find out the source of this problem
This problems is very rare because both of before and after the surgery, the surgeon will let you take an oral antibiotic to proven this problems. But it’s can happens in case you don’t clean your wound in the correct way, or you eat something with high acidly. And this you have this, you may feel irritating, pain either inside the eye and at the incision which you have tp go back to meet the surgeon as soon as you can
Temporary blurred or impaired vision
This is shortly occurring after the surgeries which cause of the edema in the cornea essentially creating a temporary “bad contact lens” and will be better over the time. But if you don’t feel better over the time, you have to go back to meet the surgeon again as soon as you can.
This can happen during and after the surgery which is may occur under the skin or internally around the eyeball. Normally, the blood under the skin must be removed. Otherwise it may delay healing and cause scarring. But if it’s excessive bleeding, you have to go back to meet the surgeon again as soon as possible.