What is the procedure?
It is the common thing when your get older, the fresh skin will become sagging and get wrinkle in some area of your body especially on the face and the neck which is obviously visible. And if we talks about the deep lines and wrinkles on the neck, this main cause of the aging and the sun explosion, pollution and etc. And the best way to improve these problems is the cosmetic surgery or in the specific name is Neck lift procedure which can be done with both of liposuction and surgery. A neck Lift is the procedure to improve this problem in both of the man and woman, make the skin on the neck become youthful and tighten again and removes the double chin appearance because the surgeon and also removes the excess fat under the skin around the jowl. Normally, the Neck lift procedure can combine with another procedure for the better result of lifting surgery such as forehead lift or mid face lift which lax muscles are tightened and elevated to a more youthful position or Liposuction under the chin which an permanently restore definition to the lower face. Moreover, a neck lift procedure offers a smoother and more toned appearance to skin under the chin and neck area that has lost elasticity. An elegant neck contour is not only associated with a youthful appearance, but also with health and vitality.
How the procedure is performed ?
A neck lift is actually a set of procedures used to enhance the appearance of your neck. And the procedure can be done with many techniques, but the most common techniques are
1. Cervicoplasty (to remove excess neck skin) Cervicoplasty is the procedure involves excess skin on the neck of the people. The procedure will be start with applying the general Anastasia on the patient to make then sleep during the surgery and the incision will be made under your chin or behind your ears which are visible or can be both locations. The surgeon will tighten your sagging skin and cut out the excess part of your skin. And after that, the skin will be secured with permanent sutures or a special type of permanent adhesive glue. And the last process of Neck lift, the surgeon will place a drain under the skin on the neck to collect any fluid that will increase your swelling and discomfort after the surgery
2. Platysmaplasty(to remove or alters neck muscle) Platysmaplasty is the procedure involves excess both of excess skin or “Banded appearance” and the loosing muscle on the neck. The procedure will be start with applying the general Anastasia on the patient to make then sleep during the surgery and the small incision (about one-inch) under your chin or behind the ears (or can be both) to tighten up neck muscles that have become loose over the years (the incision behind the ears will be hidden inside the hairline which is visible). These incisions allow access to the platysma (neck muscle) and any fat in the neck. And then, the surgeon will insert the instrument to either remove a portion of specific neck muscles or realign them, which is tighten the middle area of the neck and remove the excess skin at the end. And the incision will be closed and secured with the suture or the special permanent adhesive glue. And the last process of Neck lift, the surgeon will place a drain under the skin on the neck to collect any fluid that will increase your swelling and discomfort after the surgery.
What type of Anastasia is necessary for the procedure ?
How will the incision look like?
For the incision behind the ears
The incision will start at the front of the ear lobe and loops under and behind the ear ending in the scalp towards the back of the neck
For the incision are made under the chin
The small incision is made under the chin in the ‘double chin’ crease , the length of the incision is depend upon the amount of loose skin that needs to be lifted which is invisible also
Is this procedure suitable for the candidate ?
- Can be both of the man and woman but must be healthy, have no serious medical problem or condition
- We can’t specify the age of the candidate for neck lift procedure, both of younger and older can have the surgery if your neck is disturbed by the sagging skin or the excess fat or both. You still can be a candidate for neck lift
- Doesn’t matter how weight you are but as far as you the sagging skin, wrinkling,you still can be a candidate. But most of the overweight peoples will have the medical problem which can’t undergo the surgery
- The peoples with the turkey wattle neck (excess fat) and want to remove it ou.
- The peoples with the sagging skin which may cause of aging, the effect of weight loss, gravity or simple heredity and want to removes it
- The people with the wrinkle or deep lines on the neck which make the peoples get older than the real age
- The peoples who want to make the loosing skin on the neck smoother and firmer
- The people who wish to have better definition along the jaw line and neck due to the sagging and/or wrinkling of the neck and a loss of separation between the neck and the chin or jaw
- The peoples with the neck band
- The people who want to improve the appearance of the face since they born such as the short chin, the fullness in the neck and lack of definition
- The people who have sagging and/or wrinkling of the neck and a loss of separation between the neck and the chin or jaw can benefit from a neck lift procedure
- The peoples who want to have the youthful neck appearance, look fish and more shape and get the self-confident from the surgery
- They do not like the appearance of their neck or cheeks.
- They feel healthy and younger but when they look in the mirror they see someone who looks older
- They are starting to look like their mother or father
- They have a “turkey wattle” or sagging neck and throat area
What are the results the candidate can expect?
- The result of the surgery is immediately visible and permanent
- Removal the turkey neck (the loose and lax skin under underneath your chin) which may cause of the excess fat under the skin
- Removal the excess skin on your neck which may cause of the aging or gravity
- Small incision but big result
- The scars is invisible( be hidden in the hairline behind the ear and under the chin)
- Improving the neck appearance / profile definition –subtle but effective
- Making the short neck look long and defined
- Make the neck and jaw line smoother and firmer
- Correct the double chin appearance
- The neck look more youthful and natural as “unoperated” appearance
- Get back the self-confidence
Length of stay at the hospital and in Thailand
1-2 nights in the hospital, recommends 12 days in Thailand
- Before the surgery can happen, you need to have a consultation with the surgeon consultation with the surgeon and inform them all information about your medical problem, your allergies, medical you are taking and including your expected result to see that it’s realistic to do or not
- You have an opportunity to ask them anything before you undergo the surgery. Some surgeons can show you the before and pictures of the clients who did the surgery with them only if you would like to see
- You will be asked to stop taking Aspirin, ibuprofen, and products containing aspirin and ibuprofen including anti-inflammatory medication,high dosing any multivitamins/herbal remedies/teas etc. before and surgery for 2 weeks,this may inhibit blood clotting and cause bleeding problems during and after surgery
- Stop drinking alcohol or smoking before and after the surgery 2 weeks, that’s effect to delay wound healing. This is very important for the peoples who would like to undergo the major the surgery which will be operated under general Anastasia
- Some surgeons will recommend you to take multivitamin supplements which are including Vitamin A and C, these can help relieve swelling after surgery. But however, this must be the approval of your surgeon only
- And if you color your hair, you may choose to do so at least a week prior to your surgery. You should avoid hair dyes for several weeks after the procedure, depending on your type of surgery, in order to maximize safe healing afterwards
- And due to the patients who undergo Face lift surgery will have the scars behind the ears. So, for the peoples with the short hair or the open the ears hair styles can change the hair style which can cover the incision for your self-confidence
- Due to you have to stay over nigh in the hospital, prepare the thing what is needed for you during recovery stay in the hospital
On the surgery date
- And on the surgery date, you should stop eating and drinking 6 hours before the surgery
- Take a bath and wash your hair for prevention getting infection wear the loose cloths or confortable for you, (because after a surgery, you maybe not confortable to do it for a few days) but without applying the lotion and cream on the body including no makeup
- Take out all accessories, such as earring and also remove the nail polish before getting the operation room
- Wear the loose cloths or comfortable, If possible take the shirt with the button in front
- Sleep well before the surgery
- Make a physical checking up to be sure that you have the normal level of your blood pressure or any disease come up which can’t undergo the surgery or not
- After the surgery, the doctor may temporarily place a small, thin drainage tube under the skin behind the ear to drain any blood that might collect there. Your head will be wrapped loosely in bandages to reduce bruising and swelling and you have to stay in the hospital to be sure that you are safe before discharge the hospital
- And the good position to sleep after the surgery is sleeping with head of the bed elevated, no bending, lifting or straining or use two to three pillows for one week after surgery
- It’s very common symptoms after the surgery for your swelling, bruising, skin discoloration, tenderness, and numbness which will be better and fade away over the time within at least 2 weeks
- The painkiller pill and antibiotics medication is recommended if the pain is extremely and for preventing to get infection during the healing process and continue taking them until they are all gone
- You may feel tightness or tingling and different sensations and including burning or pulling
- Keep your incision dry except for clearing which you can do with a Q-tip dipped in hydrogen peroxide and then applying the antibiotic ointment (polysporin/bacitracin) twice a day is an essential part of the healing process and prevention infection. You can take a bath after the surgery, but don’t get your incisions/hair wet
- And 2 weeks after the surgery, you have to go back to see the surgeon again for follow up checking and remove the suture. If you would like to wash your hair, you can do it after the operation time around 8 hours but avoid using the hot air dryer
- Some surgeons will advise you to wear the compression garment to support the operated area and reduce the swelling and bruising which can make you back to use the normal like faster
- During the recovery time, you may have the fluid from the incision. Just avoid wearing the uncomforted shirt especially on the neck area
- And since the scars will be hidden in the hairline. So, the surgeon will recommend you to avoid fading the sunshine at least 6 months after the surgery or you must put the sunscreen with a skin- protection factor (SPF) all the time when you go out to prevent pigmentation of incision line. And also, after the surgery, the incision maybe very dried. You can apply the moisturizer, oil cream or the vitamin E can help
- Hair loss along the incision, this can happen either because the surgeon cut the hair in that area to make an incision or the hair loss after the surgery because the surgeon pull the scalp too tight. But it will continue regrow.
- But some surgeons will recommend you to use the medical compression garment after neck lift surgery. This garment can help you about the healing process, minimal swelling, improving blood circulation, providing support and comfort to surgical areas, and by flushing the body out of potentially harmful fluids
- Avoid extreme activities or strenuous sport at least 3 weeks because of the rising high blood. This can cause of bleeding inside your cheek
What are the possible risks and complications involved?
After the surgery, you may feel and bruising, burning, pains, discomfort on your neck. But don’t worry, these will fade away in a several days after the surgery
Normally, before and after the surgery, the surgeon will ask you to take an oral anti-biotic to prevent to get the infection from the surgery. But this also can happen if the bacteria are so strong. You can notice from the temperature if it keeps rising up. Having a fever is the first sign of getting injection and the other things which also concerning are strong pain and feel the heat surround the wound, redness , plenty of oozing and blood come out from the wound. You should go back to see the doctor again immediately.
Normally, the face and the neck of the peoples are not symmetrical as natural. But before the surgery, the professional surgeon can notice and recommend if you have the high risky to have an asymmetry neck between one side of the face or neck area versus the other after the surgery.
Normally, you can feel tightness after the surgery which is the normal symptom and will fade away over the time. But in case the excess skin on the neck is pulled too much which can leads to have the unnatural results of the surgery. This complication can be difficult to correct. So, I’s very important to find the surgeon with the experience about this.
Neck area is contained with many nerves that control movement of the mouth region which potential risk of damaging from the neck lift procedure that will leads to permanent numbness, but it’s very rare. But don’t worry if you have the temporary numbness around the ear after the surgery, due to swelling near the sensory nerve in this area and it will go away over the time .
Hematoma is the most common complication after neck lift procedure which is happen in the man higher than the woman. This symptom is caused of the blood has collected under the skin. This is the reason why the surgeon asks you to stop taking aspirin or anti-inflammatory medications were not stopped before surgery, and smoking before and after the surgery for 2 weeks. Due to these can increase the risk to thin your blood.