What is the procedure ?
The eyes are the important point of the face which can show the human’s emotion out from inside. But the eyes appearance can be changed such as from the wrinkling on the eyes, even sometimes they are fine and try to show the real emotion at the moment. And most of the people both of the man and woman interested in cosmetic for improving the eye appearance as we known “Blepharoplasty” both of man and women.
For Blepharoplasty can be divided in 2 types, for upper eyelid surgery (upper Blepharoplasty) and lower eyelid surgery (lower Blepharoplasty). The people with baggy skin under the eye caused from the fat tissue are contained inside the bag under the eyes. With this can make the people look older than the real age with tired and sleepy face appearance all the time. And moreover, the wrinkling surrounding the eyes which cause of the aging or the gravity also happens in the same times. So, this is the reason why the people looking for the way to improve these problem and “Lower Eyelid Surgery” is the best answer of this , to remove the excess fat from the under the eye and tighten the skin surrounding the eyes. This can make the people look youthful and fresh appearance again.
How the procedure is performed ?
For lower eyelid surgery can be done under local Anastasia with 2 techniques
The traditional lower eyelid surgery
After applying the local anaesthesia on the patients to prevent the pains during the surgery , the surgeon will make an incision just under the eyelashes and smile creases of the lower lid to remove the excess fat, muscle, and skin from understate the skin. Then, the incision will be closed with the suture which typically extends into the crow’s feet where lines already exist so that the scar will be less noticeable. Adding fat is done to improve a “hollowed” appearance on the “Tear Troughs” (the deep grooves that can result when there is an obvious demarcation between where the lower eyelid area ends and the cheek begins).
Transconjunctival lower eyelid surgery
This is the alternative for the people who have only the baggy eyes (a pocket of fat beneath your lower eyelids) but no sagging skin or wrinkles at all. The surgeon will make an incision inside your lower eyelid, leaving no scars to remove the excess fat from inside your lower eyes and the incision will be closed normally with the absorbed suture, gentle for the eyes.
What type of Anastasia is necessary for the procedure ?
How will the incision look like ?
The incision of lower eyelid surgery, the incision is hidden along the line of lower eyelid which is below the lower lashes. In some cases, the patients with the excess skin and need to be removed, the incision can be continued longer than the end of each eye which is visible. After the surgery, the scare inside the lower eyes will hardly visible, but the scare which is longer from the end of the eyes will fade away later.
Is this procedure suitable for the candidate?
- The candidate for lower eyelid surgery can be both of man and woman but must be in good health, no serious medication problems such as high blood pressure, diabetes, circulatory disorders, cardiovascular disease, or thyroid disease
- More than 18 years old of the age, when the body stops developing anymore. But typically, the average of the age for the people who undergo lower eyelid surgery is more than 35 years old.
- The peoples with the baggy eyes, droopy skin under the eyes or have puffy eyes caused by the fat under the skin.
- The people with the wrinkles aging surrounding the eyes and want to remove it caused by the fat under the effect of or gravity
- The people who want to improve the eye appearance and can leads to the whole face appearance.
- The peoples who have tired face or look older than the real age
- The eyes looks firmer, fresher and smoother
- The whole face looks smaller, because the pocket bag under the eye make the face look fat
What are the results the candidate can expect?
- The results is immediately visible and permanent
- The face looks more natural youthful fresher, more beautiful
- The packet bag under the eyes (fat tissue) is removed
- Reduce the wrinkles surrounding the eyes which make the face smoother
- Remove the excess skin surrounding the eyes
- The black circle under the eyes is disappeared
- The face appearance is change
- The peoples get back the self-confident again
Length of stay at the hospital and in Thailand
Out-patient, recommends 7 days in Thailand
- Before you can have a surgery, you need to have consultation with the surgeon, inform the surgeon about the medication problems and condition to see that you can undergo the surgery or not.
- Discuss with the surgeon about the specific result of the surgery to get the recommendation from the surgeon, what’s type of eyelid surgery do need for you ( upper or lower or both).
- You will be asked to stop taking Aspirin, ibuprofen, and products containing aspirin and ibuprofen including anti-inflammatory medication, high dosing any multivitamins/herbal remedies/teas etc before and surgery for 2 weeks, this may inhibit blood clotting and cause bleeding problems during and after surgery
- Stop smoking and drinking alcohol before and after the surgery 2 weeks, that’s effect to delay wound healing
- Prepare the things for recovery time such as cool pack, ointment or any moisturizers
- The people with suffering from hypertension must control blood pressure to the normal level before getting the surgery
On the surgery date
- Take a bath and wash your hair wash your hair (because after a surgery, you maybe not confortable to do it for a few days) but without applying the lotion and cream on the body including no makeup
- Take out all accessories, such as earring and also remove the nail polish before getting the operation room
- Wear the loose cloths or comfortable, If possible take the shirt with the button in front
- Sleep well before the surgery
- Make a physical checking up to be sure that you have the normal level of your blood pressure or any disease come up which can’t undergo the surgery or not
- After the surgery, you maybe have the bandage over on your incision (under the eye) and you try to keep it at that place at least one day after the surgery
- You may feel pains, comfortable, bruising and swelling. But it will go away in 1 month
- The painkiller pill and antibiotics medication is recommended if the pain is extremely and for preventing to get infection during the healing process and continue taking them until they are all gone
- The surgeon will recommend you to take a rest as much as possible after the surgery on your back with your head higher than the body and knees bent with a pillow underneath
- Don’t take a shower or take a shower but keep the wound dry until you will the suture will be removed or just try to clean your body with the wet towel if you don’t feel comfort
- Keep the wound dry and clean with the warm water and apply the ointment on after and try to change the gauze ever the incision twice times a day attend to it at least twice a day to avoid getting injection from bacteria inside
- But during this time, you may have bleeding and oozing come out from the wound. It’s common symptom after the surgery and will go way in a few day, no worry
- The surgeon will recommend applying the cool pack or frozen peas, this can reduce the swelling and stop bleeding (especially, the first few days is recommended to keep cool pack on your surgery area all the time) and including vitamin A and C is also can help
- After 48 hours, when you stop applying the cool pack on the cheek. Just let it heal by itself. Do not uses both of cool pack and hot pack anymore. The swelling will fade away in 4-5 days
- After the surgery, its normal for some blurring occur when you reading or computer. But it’s not serious problems just apply the teardrop when you feel your eyes are very dry or tired or can stop using the eyes time to time
- 7 days after the surgery , you have to come back to see the surgeon again for the follow up checking and remove the suture
- And avoid facing the sunshine without the sun glass or sun protection lotion in the first 1 month
- Don’t be in the swimming pools and bath tubs because these can be breeding grounds for bacteria and infection in the early days after surgery
- Avoid extreme activities or strenuous sport at least 3 weeks because of the rising high blood. This can cause of bleeding inside
- If you wear eyeglasses, you can continue using as normal. But just be careful when you wear to no disturb your incision and you start wearing the contact lenses and make up again after the suture is removed
- After the suture is removed, the incision maybe very dry , you can put the vitamin E , mesmerizers , oily on your incision to reduce itching. Including lacri-lube and Aquaphor also can help
What are the possible risks and complications involved?
The eyes can’t completely closed
This can be common in the beginning after the surgery which when the skin settle up, the skin can become flexible again. But in the case that the surgeon cut too much skin from eyelid, this can be another problem which you have to go back to see the surgeon again. They will recommend you how to fix this propels or probably the eye revision is necessary in some cases.
The dryness eyes
It’s normal for the eyes after the surgery to be dry, the surgeon will recommend you to use the eye drop during this time or tapping the eye when you are sleeping to provide lubrication. But if it doesn’t go away, you should go back to meet the surgeon again for checking up to find out the source of this problem.
This problems is very rare because both of before and after the surgery, the surgeon will let you take an oral antibiotic to proven this problems. But it’s can happens in case you don’t clean your wound in the correct way, or you eat something with high acidly. And this you have this, you may feel irritating, pain either inside the eye and at the incision which you have to go back to meet the surgeon as soon as you can.
Temporary blurred or impaired vision
This is shortly occurring after the surgeries which cause of the edema in the cornea essentially creating a temporary “bad contact lens” And will be better over the time. But if you don’t feel better over the time, you have to go back to meet the surgeon again as soon as you can.
The tear duct is injured
During the surgery, the tear duct can be injured (but it’s very rare), this can leads to have the prolonged swelling on your eyes and can probably be for several weeks. This you should go back to see the surgeon again as soon as you can to be sure that the swelling you have is the normal symptom after eyelid surgery or caused of the tear duct is injured.