What is the procedure ?
For the western peoples wish to have the big symmetry lip comparing to the whole face but most of them have very small and thin lip(both upper and lower). In the contrary way, the Asian peoples who have very big lip also which to have a small thin lip to make the face more beautiful balance and look softer.
Due to the peoples with the thick or big lip can make the rest of the face look unbalance, especially in the woman. They feel less self-confidence with the big size of the lip comparing to the rest of the face or when they are make up with the cosmetic, they can feel the flaw of the lip more clearly such as when the lipstick is applied on the lip. But moreover, Lip reduction is not the procedure to improve the face appearance only. They peoples with the big lip can involve the problems about speaking, eating, drinking which these can be improved with lip reduction also.
So, Lip reduction surgery, also known as “Cheiloplasty” is the answer of these problems. It is the of the most popular plastic procedure in Thailand, because it’s minor cosmetic surgery with less complications and risk. The aim of the procedure are reduced the lip in size and made symmetrical or the peoples who have unbalance lips between upper and lower. And also the upper and lower lip reduction can be done in the same times if the patients want.
How the procedure is performed ?
The procedure will start with applying the local Anesthesia on the patient (some surgeon can let the patient take the anti-pressure medicine) and the surgeon will make a horizontal incision inside of the mouth along the length of the mouth and cut out either an excess fat, tissue or mucus from the central lip mucosa (red lip tissue). This causes the lip to shrink and become less noticeable. And the incisions will be closed with the suture or the adsorb suture with the curly type which will be hidden inside the mouth.
What type of Anastasia is necessary for the procedure ?
How will the incision look like ?
The incision of the lip reduction procedure will be made across the length of the lip on the inside of the mouth. A strip of lip lining (mucus membrane) is removed and the incision is closed with dissolving sutures and so creates no visible scars.
Is this procedure suitable for the candidate?
- The candidate can be both of man and woman but must be in good health, no serious medical problems which can’t undergo the surgery
- Must be over 18 years old, when the body is already stopped developing
- The peoples with the natural large lip can be both of upper and lower lip or only one and don’t happy with this
- The peoples who have unbalanced size between the upper and lower lip and want to improve it
- The peoples who have the lip don’t look fit with the rest of the face
- The people who have physical problems with the large lip such as eating drinking, speaking etc.
- The peoples with wrinkle line on the lip can make it smoother with Lip reduction procedure
- The propel with the some kind of trauma or disease, getting injection or inflammation which make the lip swollen and don’t come back the normal shape
- The peoples who don’t happy with the result of permanent lip augmentation procedure done in the past
- The peoples who have less self-confident with the face appearance
- Make the face look more symmetry beautiful, more attractive
What are the results the candidate can expect?
- The result of the surgery is immediately visible and permanent
- The lip is reduced overly large or the level of the lip that will be reduced can be requested by you
- Make the face more balance and harmony
- Lip look smaller and thinner and especially comparing to the whole face
- Have the pleasing size of the lip
- Make the natural perfect smile
- Feel more comfortable with your lip appearance
- Can be more self-confident and be happier with the cosmetic make up
Length of stay at the hospital and in Thailand
Out-Patients, recommends 9 days in Thailand
- Have a consultation with the surgeon, inform the surgeon about the medical problem and condition including the expected result of the surgery to see that it’s realistic or not
- The surgeon will clarify you all detail about the surgery the side effect, the complication and risk after the surgery
- If you are having a combination of plastic surgery procedures, the surgeon will explain you about this and the surgery will take longer recovery time. Then, you can make a decision to do it or not
- You will be asked to stop taking Aspirin, ibuprofen, and products containing aspirin and ibuprofen including anti-inflammatory medication and including high dosing any multivitamins/herbal remedies/teas etc before and surgery for 2 weeks , this may inhibit blood clotting and cause bleeding problems during and after surgery
- Try to avoid some kinds of food also can make the blood thinning such as monosodium glutamate, garlic, onion, the products from soy
- Stop drinking alcohol or smoking before and after the surgery 2 weeks, that’s effect to delay wound healing
On the surgery date
- Take a bath and wash and brush your teeth before the surgery due to after the surgery, it’s not too comfortable for you to do this because of the pain and incision inside of the lip.
- Take out all accessories, such as earring and also remove the nail polish before getting the operation room
- Wear the loose cloths or comfortable, If possible take the shirt with the button in front
- Sleep well before the surgery
- Make a physical checking up to be sure that you have the normal level of your blood pressure or any disease come up which can’t undergo the surgery or not
- After the surgery, you will have pains, bruising, swelling on your lip but it will go away in a week
- The painkiller pill and antibiotics medication is recommended if the pain is extremely and for preventing to get infection during the healing process and continue taking them until they are all gone
- The surgeon will recommend you lay down in the position with your head higher than body, this will help relieve pressure from your treatment area reducing swelling and pain
- Try to avoid seeing your face from the mirror in the first few days because it will be complete swelling especially your mouth and this will scared you even it’s very common symptom after the surgery
- The surgeon will recommend applying the cool pack or frozen peas, this can reduce the swelling and stop bleeding (especially, the first few days is recommended to keep cool pack on your surgery area all the time) and including vitamin A and C is also can help
- After 48 hours, when you stop applying the cool pack on the cheek, Just let it heal by itself and the swelling will fade away in 4-5 days
- 2 days after the surgery, you can brush your teeth but very gentle, this can separate the incision from each side. And keeps the mouth clean, gargling with the antiseptic mouthwash the saline as often as you can per day
- During the recovery time, try to drink water as much as you can and should stop eating after the surgery date at least 24 hours to avoid getting infection from the bacteria in the mouth
- Try to eat the soft food which is not disturbed the incision in the first few days after the surgery
- Don’t eat the spicy food, hot food, uncooked or the food with high acidity levels or with intense flavors such as tomato or orange which you can get infection from bacteria with the food
- If you have the piece of the food attached to the incision, can use the syringe with the saline water to clean
- If you have bleeding or oozing come out from the wound, it’s normal from the surgery. Just disregard and it will fade away in a few days
- Keep all incision and suture lines free of moisture to ensure proper healing , do not allow creams, lotions, or topical arnica into the incision because they can cause inflammation
- Don’t try to move your mouth too much. It can delay the healing process
- If the surgeon use the absorb sutures, during the recovery time, it will start falling off. Do worry about this
- 7 days after the surgery, you have to go back to meet the surgeon again even the surgeon use the absorb suture for closing your incision which is not need to be removed. But you have to come to post-operative checking up.
- Don’t try to use the tongue to touch the incision on your lip , this can make the suture separate from each other
- If the suture falls-off from incision, that’s normal because it’s the absorb suture and no danger to the body
- Do not open your mouth widely, or over animated facial expressions during the healing phase, this can disturbs incision
- You can resume light activity the day of surgery but avoid extreme activities or strenuous sport which can attack to the incision for 4-6 weeks
- Avoid not to attack the lip but activities or some sports
What are the possible risks and complications involved?
The common symptoms
The complications and the risk after Lip Reduction procedure is rare because this is the minor surgery can be done in short time. The common side-effects after Lip Reduction include pain, swelling, bruising, and redness in the treatment area but it must go away over the time. If not, you also should be aware this maybe normal side-effect.
Normally, the surgeon will let you take the anti-biotic medicine both of before and after the surgery to prevent these problems. But it also can occur even from the food you take, the incision isn’t clear well etc. And the sigh to know that you get infection is such as you have excessive pain, redness, pus. This you should go to meet your surgeon again as soon as you can.
This can happen because the wrong estimated operation of the surgeon. Because after the lip is swollen after Anesthesia injected. And if the surgeon is not professional enough, the amount of Anesthesia that will injected into the mouth which is start from one side along to another side maybe not the same amount which can cause of the different level of the swollen lip. Because of this, the surgeon can process the wrong result.
Too much skin removed
Normally, the amounts of the lip tissue that will be cute during the surgery, the client need to have a consultation with the surgeon before. In some propels who have not too big lip but the surgeon remove or cut out too much tissue. The upper and lower lip will can’t touch each other again or we can say the mouth can’t completely closed.
The thick scars inside the mouth
It’s possible that the incision of lip reduction can become the lumps or scar tissue present if the lips do not heal properly. This problem, you have to go back to meet the surgeon again, they can correct the lumps inside your mouth again