What is the procedure ?
Alarplasty is the one of Rhynoplasty procedure to enhances the facial harmony and balance also proportions of your by reduction the wide nose or the flaring nose of the person with less confident and unhappy , then the “wings” of the nose can be narrowed by cutting out a wedge-shaped piece from the outer base of each nostril. This problem occurs in Asian peoples more than the western people who those have higher nose bridge compare to Asian peoples.
The normal width of the nose wing should be in the same position of the beginning point of the both eyes. But in the people who have the nose wing wider than this can consider to correct the shape of this with “Alarplasty” and moreover , this can be performed combining to Nose Augmentation in order to see the obviously nose outcome.
However, Alarplasty is not for the cosmetic surgery only, you can tell your surgeon about the expected result of the surgery. But the surgeon also must concern about your breathing structure also. He must be sure that after the wing or nostril is corrected, the results of the surgery must be not the obstacle of the well- breathing
How the procedure is performed ?
The procedure will be started with cleaning the alar base outside and inside either and apply the local Anastasia to not feel the pain during the surgery. The surgeon will cut out the cartilage piece from the outer base of your nostrils (each side). And during this time, the surgeon can define the width of new nostril and remove the unnecessary soft tissue at either inside the nose or at the bottom of the nose between the nostril, because the excessive fatty tissue make the nostril look thick and flared. And the incision will be closed with the suture and the bandage will be placed over the nose.
What type of Anastasia is necessary for the procedure ?
How will the incision look like ?
Normally, Alarplasty incision is very small which is hidden at the corner of the nose skin between nostrils. But in some peoples with the very flaring nose, the scars will depends on what you agree upon the surgeon during the consultation. And it can be either inside or outside the nostril depends of on the degree of flaring.
Is this procedure suitable for the candidate ?
- The good candidate for Alarplasty can be both of man and woman , but need to be in good health, no resinous medical problem which can’t have a surgery
- Must be over 18 years old, Because below this age, your nose still can be developing and it can effect to the result of the nose in the future
- The people with the very width nostril or flaring nose from outer side of the nose and want to reshape it
- The people who don’t happy with the shape of the size of the alar base of the nose
- The people with very big nostril and want to reduce the size
- The people who have the unbalance alar base of the nose compare to the whole face which normally, the width of alar base must not go totally beyond medial end of the eye.
- The people with the beautiful nose but big alar base
- The peoples who need to restore symmetry with the fac
- Emotional stability is one of the most important factors.The peoples who can be patient to wait for the final result which may be long for a few months without any depresses
- The people who want to increase the self-esteem and improves the face feature
What are the results the candidate can expect ?
- The result is immediately visible and permanent
- The nostrils is smaller
- The alar base is reduced from outer side of the nose
- The nose structure look more symmetry
- The whole face look more balance
- The face look more natural beautiful
- Increasing self-confident
- The face look more match with the make-up
- More happy with the face appearance
Length of stay at the hospital and in Thailand
Outpatient, recommend 9 days in Thailand
- Before the surgery can happen, you need to have a consultation with the surgeon consultation with the surgeon and inform them all information about your medical problem , your allergies , medical you are taking and including your expected result to see that it’s realistic to do or not .
- If you are having a combination of plastic surgery procedures, the surgeon will explain you about this and the surgery will take longer recovery time.You can make a decision to do it or not
- You will be asked to stop taking Aspirin, ibuprofen, and products containing aspirin and ibuprofen including anti-inflammatory medication and including high dosing any multivitamins/herbal remedies/teas etc before and surgery for 2 weeks, this may inhibit blood clotting and cause bleeding problems during and after surgery
- Stop drinking alcohol or smoking before and after the surgery 2 weeks, that’s effect to delay wound healing
On the surgery date
- Take a bath and wash your hair wash your hair and clean inside your ears with the cotton bud. But do not apply the lotion and cream on the body including no makeup
- Take out all accessories, such as earring and also remove the nail polish before getting the operation room
- Wear the loose cloths or comfortable, if possible take the shirt with the button in front
- Sleep well before the surgery
- Make a physical checking up to be sure that you have the normal level of your blood pressure or any disease come up which can’t undergo the surgery or not
- The bandage will be placed on the your nose over the incision, try to keep it on the position in the first few days
- In some surgeons, they will recommend you to use the blog nose to support the new shape of the nose after the surgery, but some not. So, It’s depends on each surgeon’s advice.
- If you feel pain, the painkiller pill and antibiotics medication is recommended if the pain is extremely and for preventing to get infection during the healing process and continue taking them until they are all gone.
- The surgeon will recommend applying the cool pack or frozen peas, this can reduce the swelling and stop bleeding (especially, the first few days is recommended to keep cool pack on your surgery area all the time) and including taking vitamin A and C is also can help
- Don’t put the face down on the pillow to anti-pressure on the nose
- Keep the incision clean and dry, you can use the Q-tip (cotton bud) with sterile water to clean your face gently
- If you want to clean your face, must to it with being aware to no touch the incision which can make it separate
- Don’t bane the nose from right to left side with the finger , this can make the incision separate
- Don’t worry if there is some bleeding or oozing from the incision, that’s normal and will resolve within 2 days
- About 7 days after the surgery, you have to come back to see the surgeon again for follow up checking to be sure that the incision go well, no side-effect or complication.
- Do not blow your nose. If you sneeze, open your mouth to divert the airflow away from the nose or avoid any pressure on your nose.
- Avoid hard attack especially on your nose, extreme activities or strenuous sport at least 3 weeks because of the rising high blood. This can cause of bleeding inside your cheek
- Don’t scratch your incision or the wound , apply the moisturizer , ointment , or lotion if you feel dry on the wound or itching
- Apply the sun cream on the incision after the surgery for 6 months. Because after the surgery , the skin can be very sensitive , this can make the incision become dark and clear visible
What are the possible risks and complications involved?
The common symptoms after Alarplasty are such as painful, swelling and bruising (especially around your eyes), unfavorable sensation and including the skin surrounding the eyes becomes purple and yellow color at the end. But it will go away over the time.
Normally, the surgeon will let you take the oral-antibiotic pills both of before and after the surgery to prevent this problem from the operation. But in case the bacteria is so strong, it’s still can happen or particularly in heavy smokers very occasionally which you can notice from the redness around the incision or plenty of bleeding or oozing from the incision including the strong pain and heat feeling from the wound. This you should go back to see the surgeon as soon as possible to get the correct treatment.
The skin is removed too much
The surgeon remove too much nose skin (make it too small) which can affect to the breath system. If these problems happen, you may be need to revision the surgery again because it’s quite dangerous
The final result of Alarplasty can be in in 3-6 months. So, in the beginning after the surgery, you may feel the unbalanced of the nose, but that’s because of the swelling, not the mistake from the surgery. But if after 6 months, you still have the same feeling that both sides of your new base alar of the nose is asymmetry, this you should go back to see the surgeon as soon as you can, this may cause from the skin is too much removed which can leads to have the asymmetry shape of the new nose after the surgery
The incision becomes keloid; this is not the mistake from the nose operation. But it’s the abnormal of healing process. you can use the normal vitamin E, Moisturizer or oily to apply the it. But if the incision becomes a keloid, the normal cream is not enough; you maybe need to inject the scare removal or some kind of laser to make it disappear.
This can happened with the surgeon cut out too much excess skin from outer side of the nose and make the nostril too narrow. This can make your breathing harder since the air can pass through the nostril much less than before. This you should go back to see the surgeon as soon as possible. The revision the surgery is required if necessary