What is the procedure ?
The areola is the pigment skin around your nipples (the darker pink skin, which is in the shape of a circle) which normally, should be in the region of 4.7cm (for an average height woman). But in some woman can be wider than this but still look symmetry which is no surgery required. But for the woman who has too large areola, too puffy, or that they stand out too much which caused of pregnancy and breastfeeding, but in some case, this can occur because of the genetics or age. And this make the peoples have feeling their breast is not beautiful and lose of the self-esteem. So, for the all women with these problems are seeking for the way to solve it and fortunately, the cosmetic surgery can improves this as we know “Areola Reduction”, the procedure to reduction the size of the areola with the incision around the edge of the pigment area. This procedure can change the size and shape of the areola and also can remove the puffiness of the areola (from Breastfeeding) and make the areola stand out less. Normally, areola reduction is not performed only one procedure, it’s always combined with other breast surgeries such as Breast Augmentation and Breast lift for the perfect breast appearance. The procedure is simple and quick and can be done not only in the woman, but also for the man who suffer with overly large nipples and larger than normal areola and this can lead to lack of self-confidence.
How the procedure is performed ?
The operation will with applying the local Anastasia on you by injecting which can make you not feel pains during the surgery. And the surgeon will make 2 concentric incisions around the nipple on the areola,one larger than the other as “donut-shaped”. And the excess areola tissue and skin will be removed through this small incision. A round ring-like strip of excess areola will be removed on the peripheral part of the operated areola. The edge of the new smaller areola will be suture to the outer normal skin that will create may smaller plait around the created areola. If the plate is too much, the surgeon may decide to include the vertical removal of the skin strip under the areola to avoid too many pleat formation that will resolve itself in a few months. Then,the wounds under the breast and around the nipple area will be closed with the suture and around the areola that are pulled in to tighten the skin around the areola. Then, put the gauze over the incision sites to promote effective healing.
What type of Anastasia is necessary for the procedure?
How will the incision look like?
Due to the surgeon performs the surgery with “donut shaped” incision to remove the length of the areola. So, the scars will be hidden around the edge of the areola and will likely fade with time. Or areola tattooing or micro pigmentation, can counter this effect by tattooing pigment into the lightened areas so they blend.
Is this procedure suitable for the candidate ?
- The candidate of areola reduction procedure can be both of man and woman but must be in good health, no serious medical problem which can’t undergo the surgery
- Must be over 18 years old , when the body is stop already developing
- The people who have very large areola (the pigment area around your nipple) comparing to the breasts or who have the size of the areola larger than average (usually not longer than 4.7cm of diameter) and want to reduce or reshape it.
- The people who don’t happy with the size or shape of the areola including feel self-ashamed or especially when they wearing some cloths or bikini
- The people with the asymmetry areola between both sides(one large than the other) and want to reshape it
- The people with too puffy, prominent,asymmetric or unbalanced areola
- The people who have a larger areola after the pregnancy and break feeding and don’t become back the same with feeling of embarrassment due to the very large areola.
- The peoples who born with the large pigment or areola which may cause of the genetics or drastic fluctuations in weight
- The people who want to get self-confident in the body appearance
- The people who understand well about the surgery,the incision or including the
- complication due to come technique can make you loose of the sensation on the nipple
What are the results the candidate can expect ?
- The result is immediately visible and permanent
- The areola area is smaller,look more balanced with the breast and the nipple
- The abnormal shape of areola will be improved
- The result of areola can tighten up the breast skin and elevating the nipple to a slightly higher position .
- The puffiness areola is removed which often caused by nipple stimulation( breast feeding )
- Make the beautiful nipple and looks more fit with the rest of the breasts
- The incision is difficult to see because it’s located within the pigment area
- Make the breast appearance looks youthful again, especially after pregnancy
- Increasing self-esteem,self-confidence and feeling of sexuality
- You can wear any trendy suit or bikini again without feeling ashamed to the body
- Short recovery time after the surgery
Length of stay at the hospital and in Thailand
Out-patient, recommends 9 days in Thailand
- Before the surgery can happen,you need to have a consultation with the surgeon and inform them all information about your medical problem,your allergies, medical you are taking and including your expected result to see that it’s realistic to do or not
- Some surgeons can show you the before and pictures of the clients who did the surgery with them only if you would like to see.
- The surgeon will clarify you all detail about the procedure,the complication and risks, and especially the feature of your incision after the surgery.
- You will be asked to stop taking Aspirin,ibuprofen,and products containing aspirin and ibuprofen including anti-inflammatory medication, high dosing any multivitamins/herbal remedies/teas etc. before and surgery for 2 weeks,this may inhibit blood clotting and cause bleeding problems during and after surgery
- Some surgeons will recommend you to take multivitamin supplements which are including Vitamin A and C, this can help relieve swelling after surgery. But however,this must be the approval of your surgeon only.
- Stop drinking alcohol or smoking before and after the surgery 2 weeks, that’s effect to delay wound healing.
- You should try to stool by drinking the prune juice and take them away because after the surgery, you may be taking pain medications which can cause constipation
- Try to maintain the weight and diet plan before undergo the surgery
- Try to drink water as much as you can, because hydration is very important both of before and after the surgery for safe recovery
On the surgery date
- Take a bath and wash your hair wash your hair (because after a surgery, you maybe not confortable to do it for a few days) but without applying the lotion and cream on the body including no makeup
- Take out all accessories, such as earring and also remove the nail polish before getting the operation room
- Wear the loose cloths or comfortable, If possible take the shirt with the button in front
- Sleep well before the surgery
- Make a physical checking up to be sure that you have the normal level of your blood pressure or any disease come up which can’t undergo the surgery or not
- Your areola will be covered with the gauze after the incision is closed with the stitched
- The painkiller pill and antibiotics medication is recommended if the pain is extremely and for preventing to get infection during the healing process and continue taking them until they are all gone
- Eat well especially fruit and vegetable, this can count on Vitamin C (ascorbic acid) as it is vital that you get plenty of vitamins that will help your body to recover faster Vitamin C (ascorbic acid) that helps promote healing,for two weeks following surgery
- There might be a slight burning sensation in the nipple, it will be better over the time also
- The surgeon will recommend you to sleep with head of the bed elevated,no bending, lifting or straining or use two to three pillows for one week after surgery to reduce swelling and bruising
- Keep your incision clean and dry,clean your wound with hydrogen peroxide and then applying the antibiotic ointment (polysporin/bacitracin) twice a day is an essential part of the healing process and prevention infection
- It’s common if there are bleeding or oozing come out from the wound during this time which will go sway in a few days , just use the button to clean it
- 1-2days after the surgery, you will be allowed to take a shower. But after that, try to dry up your areola nipples soones.
- 7 days after the surgery,you have to go back to see your surgeon again for post-operative checking up.
- And mostly of the surgery will be performed with the absorb suture. So, don’t need to remove the stick but you should return back to see the surgeon for post-operative checking up anyway
- If you feel so dry surrounding your incision (in the areola) or very itching, applying the ointment,gentle moisturizer is recommended
- Avoid any activities which can bother your nipple incision, or your nipple will be rubbed or chafed for avoiding the incision is separated
- Avoid the extreme sports after the surgery for 4-6 weeks
- Don’t lie down on your abdomen because your areola can be pressured.
- Wearing the loose cloths for up to 2 weeks to not disturb the incision or your nipple.
- You may be asked to wear the sport bra to support the surgery area and also can reduce the swelling or bruising after the surgery sooner
- After the surgery, the skin will be so sensitive with the sunshine.So,it’s very important to apply you must put the sunscreen with a skin- protection factor(SPF) all the time when you go out to prevent pigmentation of incision line.
What are the possible risks and complications involved?
The common symptoms
After the surgery, you may feel pain around your areola, swelling, bruising and numbness and including discomfort, tenderness, and numbness and a little groggy, but it will fade away in a several days And it may appear the pucker around the areola due to the swelling on the incision site, within a few weeks, the swelling will disappear and the skin will return to a normal appearance
Typically, the surgeon will let you take the anti-biotic medicine both of before and after the surgery to prevent getting the infection from the operation. But in case, the bacteria is so strong, you still have a chance to get infection (but it’s very rare) which you can notice from the strong pain and appear redness surrounding the areola,feel the heat from inside the wound and including have the high flu after the surgery . This you should go back to meet the surgeon as soon as possible to get the correct treatment
This is the symptom that you are bleeding underneath the skin which caused of a braking in a blood vessel , it can leads to have the localized blood-filled area or blood clot. This you should go back to see the surgeon as soon as you can. The surgeon may use the long needle to drain out the blood from under the skin.
Breast Tissue death
This is very rare complication, but it’s possible to happen when the fat around the incision is dies area dies from lack of blood flow during the operation and it’s become necrosis. And this need to be removed immediately because it can spread spawns a major infection, or cause gangrene
The nipple and areola area are the most sensitive part of the breast which is contained with many nerves. But after the surgery if some nerves are damaged, it’s risky to lose the sensation on the nipple, become uncomfortably sensitive breasts. But don’t worry, if you have the numbness after the surgery, it’s very common symptom of areola reduction procedure but it must go away within 6 months maximum.
The results of the areola reduction are different between in both sides, the shape or the size of new areola is not equal. This can happen from the surgeon’s performance, the revision surgery is required if necessary. So, having a surgery with the experience surgeon is the prior thing to concern
Your breast-feeding may be impossible
This is rare complications, but if the milk ducts are damage from the operation. You maybe not able breastfeeding anymore. But typically, areola reduction procedure is not involved in milk ducts, but there are in same area, the mistake from the operation is possible to occur.