What is the procedure ?
Liposuction is the procedure to improve the person looks especially for the patients with the big size and volume of the body which used on “problem” areas that have not responded well to diet and exercise. And rather than that providing any physical health benefits such as Diabetes, Blood Pressure, Heart Disease, Stroke And etc. It is one of the most popular cosmetic procedures conducted today which breaks up and “sucks” the excess fat or fat cells from various possible parts of the body such as abdomen or waist, back, inner and outer thigh, hip , chest even on face , chin cheek or under chin due to permanent fat cell removal with small unnoticeable scar is one of its benefits. Due to when you gain weight each fat cell increases in size and volume. Liposuction reduces the number of fat cells in isolated areas. But please understand that Liposuction doesn’t remove the cellulite and. It is not an overall weight-loss method – it is not a treatment for obesity, get rid of stretch marks, cellulite, dimpling, or other skin surface irregularities. In the person who does not control the weight by eating a health well or even make an exercise , there is a risk that the remaining fat cells grow bigger. And the fat will be removed through a hollow instrument, small, thin, blunt-tipped tubes (cannula) which is inserted under the skin. A powerful, high-pressure vacuum is applied to the cannula. And the amount of fat that can be safely removed is limited. Liposuction has a number of possible risks, including infection, numbness and/or scarring. If too much fat is removed there may be lumpiness or dents in the skin. Experts say that the surgical risks are linked to the amount of fat removed. Now , Liposuction can be performed with common 2 techniques , Traditional liposuction (Tumescent ), Vaser Liposuction ( Vaser Liposelection )
How the procedure is performed ?
The procedure will be started with marking outline on the area of your body where you would like to remove the fat and then apply the general Anastasia on the patient to make them sleep during the surgery. And the surgeon will make a small incision (0.5-1.5 cm) quite invisible on some part of body which usually hidden somewhere like joint crease or the nave. And inject “Tumescent Solution” (which contains local anesthetic, adrenaline and normal saline in the same amount). This will decrease blood loss and allow the fat to come out more easily. Liposuction is performed after the surgeon targeted fat cells are infused a saline solution containing a local anesthetic and adrenaline to decrease blood loss, allow an easier removal of fat, as well as diminish postoperative discomfort. And the surgeon will insert the small tube we calls “Cannula” through the incision which is connected to the vacuum machine in order to reach deposit and suck out the targeted fat cells. The fat will be broken by the Cannula and when vacuumed out. When the procedure is done, the surgeon wills close the incision with the suture and the small tube will be inserted into the body to drain any liquid or blood from inside the body.
What type of Anastasia is necessary for the procedure?
How will the incision look like ?
After liposuction, you will have a tiny scars (around 05.-1 cm), where the surgeon cuts your skin and inserts the cannula to suck the fat tissue. And how many incision will be made is depends on the amount of fat you have and the area you want to do.
Is this procedure suitable for the candidate?
- The candidate of Liposuction can be both of man and woman , but must be in good health , no serious medication which can’t undergo the major surgery
- Age is generally not a major consideration when discussing liposuction. Older adults, though, often have less elasticity in their skin and thus may not get the same results that a younger person with tighter skin
- The peoples who have an average or only slightly above-average weight, big size and volume of body
- The person with the excess fat in the body which try to get rid of by exercise or diet but the body doesn’t response
- The people with cellulite are not good candidates for liposuction because they may develop skin irregularities in the treated area
- The people with the firm and good elastic skin. Otherwise, your skin after liposuction will be a degree of crepe or slightly wrinkle appearance
- The propels who don’t have the obesity and Liposuction also is not proven to be an effective treatment for obesity
- The people who want to have a smaller shape, but the weight is probably the same
- The people who have a problems with the skin irregularities because of the excess fat around the fold area of the body where is the air can’t pass through such as armpit, the connection between the leg and body
- The people who have a problems to wear some cloths or including a problem with moving because of the oversize body
- The people who want to improve some part of the body to be smaller, more shaped and firmer
- The people who don’t pregnant at the moment
- The people who want to get back the self-confident and can be happy with the finer shape
What are the results the candidate can expect ?
- The result is immediately visible
- Get the better shape appearance, smaller and firmer which may don’t work with the exercise
- The body looks beautiful younger than the real age
- The excess fat is removed and the body is improved to be slimmer
- Better body movement and can do all activities which you can’t do it comfortable with the overweight body
- Improving the skin problems such as red spots, itching, or having so much sweats will be solved when you have less fat and the air can come through better
- Get back the self-confident again and can wear all trendy cloths you like without any ashamed feeling with the body
- The procedure is safe and incision is very small until visible
Length of stay at the hospital and in Thailand
1-2 days in the hospital, recommends 14 days in Thailand
- Before the surgery can happen, you need to have a consultation with the surgeon consultation with the surgeon and inform them all information about your medical problem, your allergies, medical you are taking now (whether prescription or non-prescription)to see the risks after the surgery
- Discuss with the surgeon about your expected result, the area you would like to have a surgery done to see which technique of liposuction do suitable for you more
- The surgeon will clarify you all things about the procedure, the complication, the risk and even the pre-and post-operative care
- You will be asked to stop taking Aspirin, ibuprofen, and products containing aspirin and ibuprofen including anti-inflammatory medication, high dosing any multivitamins/herbal remedies/teas etc before and surgery for 2 week,this may inhibit blood clotting and cause bleeding problems during and after surgery
- Stop smoking and drinking alcohol before and after the surgery 2 weeks, that’s effect to delay wound healing
- Try to drink a lot of water before the surgery date for avoiding the lacking of water problem during the surgery
- The most important thing about having Liposuction is even Liposuction is can remove the excess fat from your body, but regular exercise is helpful to give you the fit shape ,healthy and long last result
On the surgery date
- And on the surgery date, you should stop eating and drinking 6 hours before the surgery.
- Take a bath and wash your hair wash your hair (because after a surgery, you maybe not confortable to do it for a few days) but without applying the lotion and cream on the body including no makeup
- Take out all accessories, such as earring and also remove the nail polish before getting the operation room
- Wear the loos cloths or the comfortable, especially on below part of your body
- Make a physical checking up to be sure that you have the normal level of your blood pressure or any disease come up which can’t undergo the surgery or not
- After Liposuction ,when you wake up from Anastasia with or two drains to help remove any fluids and blood that collects at the incision site which will be removed in a few days. It actually facilitates healing from liposuction and reduces recovery time swelling, bruising, soreness, numbness or Irritation in and around the surgery areas where the cannulas were inserted.
- The painkiller pill and antibiotics medication is recommended if the pain is extremely and for preventing to get infection during the healing process and continue taking them until they are all gone
- The surgeon will recommend you to remain on your back with your head higher than the body and knees bent with a pillow underneath. This position will reduce strain on your surgery area.
- The sucked areas become black color at the first moment after the surgery, but it will go away in a next few weeks
- Don’t take a shower or take a shower but keep the wound dry until you will the suture will be removed or just try to clean your body with the wet towel if you don’t feel comfort
- Taking a shower is recommended on the first day after surgery. But touch your insision gently and dry up the incision area with the towel at the end
- Keep the wound clean and attend to it at least twice a day and change the over the wound as often as you can to avoid getting infection from bacteria inside. And including keep your hand clean before touching the incision every time
- You will be asked by the surgeon to wear the compression garment to support the surgery areas in the good position, it’s can make the pain go away fast and you also can return back to the normal life sooner. By applying the pressure, a garment helps the skin fit better to the new bod shape with less likelihood of skin sagging.
- The surgeon will recommend applying the cool pack or frozen peas, this can reduce the swelling and stop bleeding (especially, the first few days is recommended to keep cool pack on your surgery area all the time). But don’t put it to the skin directly, you should put a paper towel or thin soft cloth on the swollen area to protect it
- For the first few days after the surgery, you will have the liquid come out from the incision which is normal for this procedure. When sitting or lying down, you should place absorbent towels beneath you in order to protect your furniture from any expected leak of blood-tinged drainage
- Try to walk after the surgery as much as during your recovery process to decrease the swelling, although it may be difficult to stand straight with the compression bandages on. This is one risk face by tummy tuck patients which can have blood clots in the legs. That’s the reason why the surgeon asks you to gentle walk as much as you can. However, having strong, well-toned leg muscles prior to surgery will help your body combat the formation of blood clots during the initial day or two after surgery, when you are unable to move or will be moving with difficulty. And including gentle exercise helps the healing process and can prevent the formation of blood clots
- About 7 days after the surgery, you have to come back to see the surgeon again for follow up checking to be sure that the incision go well, no side-effect or complication
- But although swelling or other symptoms will continue to go away, but if you have large areas of liposuction done, the skin surrounding the surgery area can be loose down or become like sagging skin. But typically, it will tighten over the time
- Don’t be in the swimming pools and bath tubs because these can be breeding grounds for bacteria and infection in the early days after surgery
- Avoid extreme activities or strenuous sport at least 3 weeks because of the rising high blood. This can cause of bleeding inside and you will need to pay special attention to your body’s physical limitations to avoid reopening your wounds and increasing the time needed to fully heal from surgery
- After the suture removed, if your wound is itching or very dry, you can apply the moisturizer, oily lotion on the wound instead of scratching, this can help a lot
What are the possible risks and complications involved?
The common symptoms
After the surgery, you can feel pains, swelling, bruising on the skin around the incision. And the skin becomes black in the large area or you have plenty of the water come out from the incision. Don’t worry about this, it will continue better in a several days
Normally, during the surgery, the surgeon will let you take antibiotic for anti-bacteria. This can reduce the risk of infection during the surgery and also, you did not keep your wounds clean enough. Sometimes, infections may be serious or life threatening such as in cases. You will get red on your skin, brushing on the operation area. This you must go back to see your surgeon as soon as you can
Its can happened especially in the peoples with blood disease. That’s the reason why the surgeon recommend you to take the medication to affect the bleeding stop such as Aspirin , Vitamin E or fish oil etc. But however, if you have this problem during or after the surgery, the emergency treatment is required.
Fluid and electrolyte imbalance
It can happen when you are injected the tumescent solution to the body too much or even the lot of fat is removed.
Pulmonary fat embolism during the surgery ( a blood clot fell into the lung )
A fat Embolism can happens when the fat enters the bloods through a torn or ruptured blood vessel during the surgery. Fat particles can sometimes get trapped in the blood vessels, go to the lungs or to the brain
Skin Necrosis (skin death)
The skin above the liposuction site may become necrotic or “die.” When this happens, skin may change color and be sloughed (fall) off. Large areas of skin necrosis may become infected with bacteria or microorganisms. The skin Necrosis need to be removed, otherwise the infection cans extent to the larger area of the skin
Curling, unsmooth skin or sagging skin
This happens when the fat cells are removed too much from the body and the skin become sagging or curling. But all these problems can be prevented if you have a surgery with the professional surgeon team and good device.
The cause of this problem is the friction of the device to the skin of the nerves during the surgery and this can increase the possibility of scarring.
The nerve can be damaged from having liposuction. Damage of the sensory nerves will create the feeling of pins and needle.