What is the procedure?
When you get older, the skin on your body getting loose, become sagging include on your upper arms cause of the gravity or/and weight loss (because the elasticity lost by the skin form the excess weight)or the muscle on that area is getting weak or even heredity. It is because the soft tissue in the arm become lax which can leads to your arm look droopy which and more obviously visible, when the people lift up the hands, wearing the short sleeve shirt or strapless dress which this make the peoples feel unhappy with the body appearance. And this stubborn sagging skin that develops in this area is not prone to be improved by playing some sports or strength training. And this is the main reason for the person who seeking for another ways to solve this problem and arm lift or also known as “brachioplasty” is the answer.
An arm lift is the procedure that will removes the excess skin and fat from the underarm and reshapes the under portion of the upper arm which start at the armpit area to the elbow and reshaping the arm to result in smoother skin and more normal contours which this can enhance and reshape your arms offering a more toned appearance make many people self-conscious to give a more natural appearance that matches their body proportions. An arm lift procedure nowadays is safer than before and because of the developing of the medical technique contributes to less noticeable scars than in the past which leads to becoming the popular procedure in the time.
How the procedure is performed ?
The procedure will start with marking the area of the excess skin. During this time, you can discuss with the surgeon about the volume of the excess skin you need to remove it out, your elbows, arms and armpits. And then, the surgeon will apply the general Anastasia to make you sleep and start making an incision on the inner and under the arm with the zigzag incision style. And for the peoples who have loose much weight and can leads to big amount of sagging skin, the surgeon will make a longer incision that stretches from the elbow past the armpit. The excess skin and the fatty tissue will be removed in an elliptical or triangular shape. After the loose skin and fat is removed, the remaining skin is pulled up and sutured into place to bring the incisions together to provide a firmer and smoother arm contour. And the final process, the small tube will be inserted to the side of incision to drain the liquid inside from your body. In additional, for the patient with much excess fat can have arm lift combining to Liposuction procedure for the best result of the surgery.
What type of Anastasia is necessary for the procedure ?
How will the incision look like ?
The incision of Arm lift is quite long which all candidates should be informed by the surgeon before and must be able to accept. The incision is visible which will begin along inside of the upper arm and continue underarm to the elbow. But the length and pattern of the incision can be a little bit different from this, depends on the amount and location of the excess skin to be removed which will be evaluated by the surgeon case by case.
Is this procedure suitable for the candidate ?
- The good candidate for Arm lift procedure can be both of man and woman but must be in good health
- The age and the weight of candidate have not specific rule as far as you have the appearance of loose and sagging skin
- The people with drooping skin on the upper arms
- The peoples who feel the excess cellulite or fat in the undersides of your upper arms
- The people who have problems with wearing the short sleeve shirt and sagging skin on the arms are squeezed or even can’t insert the arms inside the sleeve of the shirt.
- The peoples with the itching problem, stinky-smelling at damp areas,under the arms cause of the excess fat and sagging skin and can’t clean well
- The people who need to get back to firm skin on the arm as before
- The people who try get rid of the excess fat with the regular exercise or strength training. But can’t tighten the excess skin because of the elasticity loss
- The peoples who loose so much weight, but are left with redundant underarm skin
- The people who have frequent changes in the weight have more risky to get the droopy skin
- You are committed to a healthy diet and lifestyle
- The people who understand and If you and willing to accept a scar in exchange for shapelier arms
What are the results the candidate can expect ?
- Reduce the sagging skin that drop downward when arms are extended away from the body
- The skin on the upper arm is tighten, look smoother
- The underlying supportive tissue that defines the shape of the upper arm is tighten and smoother
- Reduce the fat / cellulite under your upper arms
- Reduce the size of the arms becoming smaller and more shape
- You can wear the any cloths or the trendy dress you like without the sleeve again
- The irritation skin and itching under the folds of the armpit go away because the air can go through your arm better
- Enjoy the freedom of a lifestyle without the droopy skin under the arm
- Your body appearance looks more shape
- Get back the self-confident with the same body
- The result of Arm lift is nearly immediately to see, and much faster comparing the regular exercise
- You can spend your time to do something ales instead of making an exercise to tighten the loose skin under your arm
- Have a better moving for the body or feel comforts to yourself without the pockets of fat in the upper arm region I
- But please understand that an arm lift can’t correct the weak muscle, only just remove the skin out. But this must be treated with regularly exercise for the good health of you and long last result of the surgery
Length of stay at the hospital and in Thailand
1-2 days in the hospital and 9 days in Thailand
- Before the surgery can happen, you need to have a consultation with the surgeon consultation with the surgeon and inform them all information about your medical problem , your allergies , medical you are taking and including your expected result to see that it’s realistic to do or not.
- You have an opportunity to ask them anything before you undergo the surgery. Some surgeons can show you the before and pictures of the clients who did the surgery with them only if you would like to see
- The surgeon will clarify you all detail about the procedure, the complication and risks, and especially the feature of your incision after the surgery
- You will be asked to stop taking Aspirin, ibuprofen, and products containing aspirin and ibuprofen including anti-inflammatory medication, high dosing any multivitamins/herbal remedies/teas etc. before and surgery for 2 weeks ,this may inhibit blood clotting and cause bleeding problems during and after surgery
- Some surgeons will recommend you to take multivitamin supplements which are including Vitamin A and C, this can help relieve swelling after surgery. But however, this must be the approval of your surgeon only
- Stop drinking alcohol or smoking before and after the surgery 2 weeks, that’s effect to delay wound healing. This is very important for the peoples who would like to undergo the major
- You should try to stool by drinking the prune juice and take them away because after the surgery, you may be taking pain medications which can cause constipation.
- Shave the hair from your surgery area if you have before the surgery
- If you have over weight, the surgeon may recommend you to change the life style, control the weight, and regularly exercise and follow the surgeon’s recommendation to archives the best result of the surgery and minimize the chance of complications
- Try to drink water as much as you can, because hydration is very important both of before and after the surgery for safe recovery
On the surgery date
- And on the surgery date, you should stop eating and drinking 6 hours before the surgery
- Take a bath and wash your hair wash your hair (because after a surgery, you maybe not comfortable to do it for a few days) but without applying the lotion and cream on the body including no makeup
- Take out all accessories,such as earring and also remove the nail polish before getting the operation room
- Wear the loose cloths or comfortable, if possible take the shirt without the sleeve with the button in front
- Make a physical checking up to be sure that you have the normal level of your blood pressure or any disease come up which can’t undergo the surgery or not
- After the surgery, your incision site will be inserted with the small tube to drain the excess blood and liquid from your body (which will be taken out in a few days after the surgery) and wrapped with the elastic bandage. You will likely have your arms wrapped from the wrist to the armpit for the first 72 hours.
- Your arms be wrapped with the elastic bandage to reduce bruising and swelling and you have to stay in the hospital to be sure that you are safe before discharge the hospital
- You will experience pain, swelling and bruising including discomfort, tenderness, and numbness feeling, but it will go away within one month.
- The surgeon will recommend you to sleep with head of the bed elevated, no bending, lifting or straining or use two to three pillows for one week after surgery to reduce swelling and bruising
- The painkiller pill and antibiotics medication is recommended if the pain is extremely and for preventing to get infection during the healing process and continue taking them until they are all gone
- You can take Vitamin C (ascorbic acid) that helps promote healing, for two weeks following surgery
- You will be asked to wear a compression garment (on your both arms) for 24 hours in the first week after the surgery and after the first week, you can wear only day time to support the surgery areas and help to reduce the swollen and bruising and make you can go back to the normal like sooner
- You can take a shower probably within 5 days after the surgery and simply put your incisions dry and begin wearing your arm compression garment
- Drink water as much as you can, avoid the strong food after the surgery, only light meals. Beaus this case leads to have vomiting which excessive vomiting and retching can result in bleeding beneath the skin
- Avoid the salt taste because it is increasing the swelling
- Keep your incision clean and dry, clean your wound with hydrogen peroxide and then applying the antibiotic ointment (polysporin/bacitracin) twice times a day is an essential part of the healing process and prevention infection
- In the beginning of the recovery time, you may be bleeding or oozing come out from the wound, also can be liquids if you have liposuction combining to arm lift procedure. That’s normal and will be fade away in a week
- Do not stay on the bed all day ,try to walk as possible as you can after the surgery in order to prevent the blood clots after the surgery
- During the first week, exercises that directly stress the area of your surgery which can raise your blood pressure, which could cause bleeding at the operative site.
- Do not swimming in the pool or shower in the bath, this case leads to get infection from the bacteria in the water
- You can feel sensation tightness, and also numbness and in the arm. But don’t worry. This will fade away over the time
- 7 days after the surgery, you have to go back to see the surgeon again for the post-operative checking up and remove the stitch
- 1 month after the surgery, you can start some normal activities such as riding a stationary bicycle or brisk walking
- Avoid heavy lifting, contact sports and jogging for up to six weeks
- Your incision maybe very dried. You can apply the moisturizer, oil cream or the vitamin E can help
- During the first 6 months , if you have wear the bikini or the cloths which your incision can fade the sunshine, you must put the sunscreen with a skin- protection factor (SPF) all the time when you go out to prevent pigmentation of incision line
What are the possible risks and complications involved?
The common symptoms
After the surgery , you may feel pain, swelling and bruising and also buring( becuase of the fliction of the device during the surgery) on the surgery area, but it will fade away in a few days and the area will become black yello and will be normal in months
Typically, both of before and after the surgery, the surgeon will let you take the oral anti-biotic medicine. That’s why it’s rare to occur. But if it still happened may cause of you don’t clean your wound well,you eat the high acidly food , you also have the risky to get infection which you can notice from such as you have pains , swelling and redness and inflammation surrounding the incision, feel the heat inside the wound and including have a high fever and don’t confortable. And this, you have to go back to meet your surgeon again as soon as you can.
Bleeding after the surgery is normal symptoms, unless you have excessive blooding which can caused of many reasons such as blood thinning from the medication as Aspirin , Vitamin E,(as the surgeon recommend you to stop). And also, if you have bleeding underneath the skin, it can be blood clots which both of these can lead to get in shock. The way to prevent these problems is following the surgeon’s construction or recommendation to stop taking anything, or stop doing anything unless you have a certain bleeding disorder. This you have to be physical checked before the surgery to see that you can have a surgery or not. And if you have bleeding or blood underneath your skin, you have to go to back to see the surgeon again soon.
The poor wound healing
Normally, the incision after the arm lift is quite long (from upper arm along to elbow). But when the incision get dry, it should becoming the fresh scars will be better over the time. But if you don’t clean your wound well which is paramount for post-operative care after the surgery or even you smoking during this recovery time because the nicotine from the smoking is the root cause of the decreased blood. These can delay the healing process of your wound and increase the risk of infection, extrusion, and necrosis.
Normally, all surgery must have the scars but the obviously visible or not is depends on each person. Even the healing process after the surgery is perfect, but abnormal scars still can occur within the skin and the deeper tissues. We can say that the scars become hypertrophic or keloid which is bad looks on your arms. This you can consult the dermatologist, if the keloid is not worse, the lotion or some cream to removal the scars or keloid is enough. But in some case, scars revision maybe necessary.