What is the procedure ? If you have got too much flab or excess skin in your abdomen that doesn’t respond to diet or exercise which the most common causes may from aging , heredity , pregnancy , prior surgery (such as Liposuction ), gain and lose weight. You may be considering an “tummy tuck ” also known as “abdominoplasty”. This cosmetic surgery procedure eliminates excess fat and sagging skin in most cases, restores weakened or separated muscles creating an abdominal profile that is smoother and firmer. There are three relevant layers, the skin, the fatty tissue and the underlying muscle. The skin can be stretched with pregnancy, the fatty layer can increase with weight gain and the muscle layer may also be stretched or weakened with pregnancy and surgery. The result is a sculpted midsection and a slim silhouette. This procedure flattens your abdomen by removing extra fat and skin, and tightening muscles in your abdominal wall and also gets rid of loose or wrinkled skin and stretch marks. Both women and men can benefit from this extremely effective body contouring surgery. However, Tummy tuck should be the last alternatives for the peoples who desperate to the skin tighten by either exercise or healthy food behavior. A tummy tuck can’t remove the fat calls as Liposuction procedure, but only the fat cells attached to the excess skin are removing. The remaining fat cells can still expand with further weight gain. And also, the results of a tummy tuck are technically permanent; the positive outcome can be greatly diminished by significant fluctuations in your weight. For this reason, the person who are planning to loss substantial weight or the woman who plans to be pregnancies will be advised to postpone a tummy tuck. A tummy tuck may be performed in combination with liposuction, breast augmentation, or other lift procedures for a complete body makeover.
How the procedure is performed ?
The abdominoplasty or tummy tuck procedure can be dividing performed in 2 options, the full tummy tuck and the mini tummy tuck
1. Complete abdominoplasty
Full tummy tuck is for repairing 3 problems of the body, Skin, Fat, and Muscle. This is for the person who would like to have a flat stomach and skin as tight as possible. The surgeon will cut start cutting your skin from the hip bone one side to another side (bikini line) or can be a little bit lower, around about the same level as your public hair. The skin and fat as a unit are separated from the abdominal wall will lifted up and the surgeon will contour the skin, tissue, and muscle as needed. The fascia will be tighten loose or stretched out muscles located below the fascia. This step creates a tighter abdominal wall and a thinner waist. The skin is stretched down and the excess skin and fat are cut and removed. The surgery will involve moving your belly button to be in higher and will close the incision with the and wrap you with the gauze and insert the drainage tubes under your skin for a few days or when your surgeon sees fit.
2. Partial abdominoplasty ( Mini Tummy Tuck )
Mini-abdominoplasty is for the peoples who have a pouch below the navel but don’t have significant stretch marks, saggy skin, or a hooded belly button. The procedure is less invasive and the incision will be smaller than a full tummy tuck. The surgeon just cut the skin between the line of incision and your belly button and contours the skin, tissue, and muscle as needed. The excess skin and fat are removed and tightening of the muscles is performed. The incision will be closed with the suture and wrapped with the gauze then insert the drainage tubes under your skin just only a few hours. And you will be asked to wear the compression garment after the surgery to support the surgery area and reduce the swollen and bruising.
What type of Anastasia is necessary for the procedure ?
How will the incision look like ?
For full tummy tuck
The incision will be placed begin from the hip to the other side of the hip ( the stitch line is depends on the amount of cloth being hemmed). The SHAPE of the scar is governed by the choice of underwear and fashion (see further) as well as the extent of skin laxity. Curving an incision allows removal of more skin without necessarily making the scar look longer.
For mini tummy tuck
The incision will be much shorter compare to Full tummy tuck which is stays well below the belly button instead of above it and also the belly button doesn’t require repositioning when a “mini” is performed, and hence the belly button does not carry the risk of visible scar around it, as is occasionally seen after a “full” tummy tuck.
Is this procedure suitable for the candidate ?
- The good candidate can be both of man and woman , but must be in good health , no serious medical problem which can have a major surgery
- The age of the patients is not specific as far as you have the loosing skin on the tummy are enough to be removed
- The people with the fit body who are carry excess weight in the midsection but have only droopy or loosen skin with stretch marks on the stomach which caused of pregnancy , aging, lose and gain weight
- The people with the weakness muscle on this area which is not responding to the diet or exercise. Due to Excess fat tissue, usually more prominent in the lower abdomen
- The people who don’t plan to have children anymore due to during surgery, your vertical muscles are tightened, and future pregnancies can separate those muscles
- The people who don’t plan to lose more weights. Otherwise, it can be effect to the result of the surgery when the skin get loosing down again
- The people who don’t feel happy with the shape of the body and be self-conscious to wear some cloths and want to improve it
- The people who are not Obese patients,they are higher risks for suffering complications during the post-surgical healing process
- The people who eat well-balanced diet and safeguard your health by losing the weight prior to getting a tummy tuck
What are the results the candidate can expect?
- The result of the surgery is immediately visible
- The stomach is flatter and better toned
- The loosing or excess abdominal fat, or loose, saggy skin in the midsection (lower abdomen) are removed
- The contour of the waste will be narrower
- You can be back to have the normal activities again due to the firming body can make you move well and comfortable
- Don’t spend a lot of time for exercise and the body doesn’t respond
- You can wear all the trendy cloths again with the self-confident
- You will have more charming and attractive body, Self-confidence and improved self-esteem
- A Tummy Tuck cannot remove stretch marks, unless they are located on excess skin areas where an excision is needed
Length of stay at the hospital and in Thailand
2-3 days in the hospital, recommends 14 days in Thailand
- Before the surgery can happen, you need to have a consultation with the surgeon consultation with the surgeon and inform them all information about your medical problem, your allergies, medical you are taking now (whether prescription or non-prescription)and including your expected result to see that it’s realistic to do or not
- Should open up your mind and discuss with the surgeon about the specific result of the surgery what you desire. The surgeon will advise you for the best techniques of tummy tuck procedure
- Most of the patients requested for mini tummy tuck because they concerns about the long incision( scarring ) but some of them are disappointed when the surgeon says , mini tummy tuck is not enough to improve the concern area(or also can combine with any other procedure such as Liposuction , Breast lift or etc). This you must discuss with the surgeon can will accepting before undergo the surgery
- The surgeon will clarify you all things about the procedure, the complication, the risk and even the pre-and post-operative care
- You will be asked to stop taking Aspirin, ibuprofen, and products containing aspirin and ibuprofen including anti-inflammatory medication, high dosing any multivitamins/herbal remedies/teas etc before and surgery for 2 weeks, this may inhibit blood clotting and cause bleeding problems during and after surgery
- Stop smoking and drinking alcohol before and after the surgery 2 weeks, that’s effect to delay wound healing
- The thing you should learn about this procedure before undergo the surgery is the Maintaining a well-balanced diet is central to preparing for any type of surgery. Providing your body with the proper nutrients helps to strengthen your immune system, which will result in a faster recovery
- And also, the regular exercise is helpful in preparing for tummy tuck. By exercising, you increase your metabolic rate and build muscle mass, which helps you to avoid gaining weight during the sedentary tummy tuck recovery time. A strong heart promotes a faster immune response, thus speeding up your abdominoplasty recovery, so be sure to include plenty of aerobic exercise in your fitness regime
- Before the surgery you need to have the physical checking to be sure that you undergo the surgery without the serious side-effect after the surgery
- On the operation day, the surgeon will ask you to stop eating and drinking 4-6 hours before the surgery time
- You arrives the hospital without makeup and take out all accessories, such as earring before getting the operation room. Before the surgery, you may be given an oral sedative valium prior to surgery which will cause initial relaxation and also the antibiotic, swelling medication, and painkiller pill to prevent getting infection during and after the surgery
- After a Tummy tuck, when you wake up from Anastasia with or two drains to help remove any fluids and blood that collects at the incision site which will be removed in a few days
- If you have the strong pain after the surgery , the painkiller pill and antibiotics medication is recommended if the pain is extremely and for preventing to get infection during the healing process and continue taking them until they are all gone.
- The surgeon will recommend you to remain on your back with your head higher than the body and knees bent with a pillow underneath to reduce strain on your abdominal area.
- And you will be asked to wear the compression garment after the surgery to support the surgery area and reduce the swollen and bruising in the beginning, you need to wear it for 24 hours (even when you sleeping). But after 2 weeks, you can wear only in the day time, don’t need to war when you sleeping.
- Try to walk after the surgery as much as during your recovery process to decrease the swelling, although it may be difficult to stand straight with the compression bandages on. This is one risk face by tummy tuck patients which can have blood clots in the legs. That’s the reason why the surgeon asks you to gentle walk as much as you can. However, having strong, well-toned leg muscles prior to surgery will help your body combat the formation of blood clots during the initial day or two after surgery, when you are unable to move or will be moving with difficulty. And including gentle exercise helps the healing process and can prevent the formation of blood clots
- Don’t take a shower or take a shower but keep the wound dry until you will the suture will be removed or just try to clean your body with the wet towel if you don’t feel comfort
- Keep the wound clean and attend to it at least twice a day and change the over the wound as often as you can to avoid getting injection from bacteria inside. But during this time, you may have bleeding and oozing come out from the wound. It’s common symptom after the surgery and will go way in a few day, no worry.
- About 7 days after the surgery, you have to come back to see the surgeon again for follow up checking to be sure that the incision go well, no side-effect or complication
- Don’t be in the swimming pools and bath tubs because these can be breeding grounds for bacteria and infection in the early days after surgery. Remember to avoid all strenuous exercise for six weeks after surgery
- Avoid extreme activities or strenuous sport at least 3 weeks because of the rising high blood. This can cause of bleeding inside and you will need to pay special attention to your body’s physical limitations to avoid reopening your wounds and increasing the time needed to fully heal from surgery
- After the suture removed, if your wound is itching or very dry, you can apply the moisturizer, oily lotion on the wound instead of scratching. This can help a lot.
- During your tummy tuck recovery time, you will need to pay special attention to your body’s physical limitations to avoid reopening your wounds and increasing the time needed to fully heal from surgery
What are the possible risks and complications involved?
The common symptoms
After the surgery, you maybe feel pain, swelling, bruising, and discomfort,feel burning, numbness and stretched on the tummy area, but it will fade away in a few weeks.
Typically, the most surgeons give patients antibiotics both of pre or post-operative reduce the risk of wound infection. But nevertheless, you still are risk to get infection such as suture abscess; an infection is an overgrowth of bacteria. And the surgeon several telltale signs and symptoms of an infection are having a fever, strong pain,the redness and warmth at the incision site or foul odor coming from the incision. This you should concern about or go back to your surgeon again.
Wound separation after a tummy tuck
The wound can be separated but isn’t only on skin, the separation is not go into the muscle wall. This is rare but its can happens cause of the excess skin was removed too much during the procedure, or the wound edge heals poorly because of poor blood supply. If this happen to you , just go back to see your surgeon as soon as possible.
Fluid collections after a tummy tuck
Such as a Seroma (collection of wound fluid) and hematoma (collection of blood in the dead space). It is happen when there is a lot of space created between the abdominal skin and the underlying muscle. The surgeon will removed the fluid under your skin by aspiration (Vacuums)
The most serious of excisional body contouring procedure is blood clots. This is because the patients after the minor surgery will be difficult to walk. So, there is a risk of blooding clots performing in leg veins (deep venous thrombosis). If a clot “breaks off” and travels through the bloodstream to the lungs, it can suddenly and seriously impair oxygen exchange. This life-threatening condition is called a pulmonary embolus. It requires immediate treatment with blood thinners (to dissolve the clot) and oxygen. This is the reason why the surgeon recommends trying to walk as possible as you can after the surgery to avoid this problem.